Boo Boo

We moved the weekend before last on Friday and Saturday and have been spending all of our time unpacking boxes and figuring out what we need to get everything organized. Joe's mom drove up to see the new house and visit this past Friday and as I was giving her a tour of the basement access to the backyard and Dylan ran outside and was heading for the playset and just as he got to the concrete steps that lead to the grass, our dog, Casey sideswiped him on her way out and knocked him over. He landed right at the edge of the steps right on his face. I was terrified because his face was covered in blood. He barely cried though which made me think he wasn't hurt that bad...until I saw that he was missing a tooth and blood was gushing from his gums. He also started to develop a huge bump on his forehead and his nose was all scratched up. I called his pediatrician to see what we should do and they recommended we take him to the ER to get checked since he had hit his head hard enough to knock out a tooth.
Joe was already headed home from work so I called him to re-direct him to the ER instead. Thank God that Joe's mom was there with me to keep me calm and reassured that everything would be fine. My sweatshirt was covered in blood on my shoulder where Dylan was resting his head. I was concerned that he might have a concussion so my main concern was keeping him awake on the drive to the hospital. He didn't cry much after the actual incident, I had given him some Tylenol right after it happened to decrease his discomfort.
When we got to the ER, they took him right back and since he hadn't been throwing up or acting strange they didn't think he had a concussion but wanted to do a CT scan to make sure there wasn't any head trauma. Dylan was a perfect little angel during the scan and laid very still and actually laughed at the 'vroom' sounds the machine made. His head was fine and they cleaned up his nose a bit. The worst part was how long it took...3+ hours. Though Dylan was such a trooper and just chilled with us.
He was perfectly fine when we got home, no pain meds needed and the Dr. just gave him a very short regimen of antibiotics to take to prevent infection since there was a pretty big gaping hole in his gums where his mouth hit the concrete and where his tooth came out. I have to get him into the dentist soon to see about getting a spacer to maintain the space where the tooth is missing. Other than that, I think I will have a worse memory of the incidence than he will. I was more of a wreck than he was and he's the one who went through the trauma!
This was taken right when we got home
The next morning

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dylan turns 11!

Pumpkin Patch

Dylan is 9!