Garden

We decided to convert a dreary patch of dirt on the side of our house to a garden.  Since I'm not really much of a green thumb, and since I decided to do this towards the middle of summer when most gardens have already been planted, my choice of seeds was limited.  So Dylan and I picked a few different types of seeds and tried to make things happen.  We started with sunflower seeds, carrot seeds, corn seeds and a cherry tomato plant start and a cucumber start.  The cucumber plant never flourished and I had to dig it back up again.  Fail #1.  And while trying to help me plant the seeds, Dylan got a hold of the carrot seeds and promptly dumped out the entire package in one spot.

But Joe was diligent with the plant food and the carrots, sunflowers, corn and tomatoes decided they liked their new home.  They plants began to grow and we finally have some life!  The tomato plant, unfortunately, didn't fare well with the recent rain/wind storm and developed rot.  Fail #2. But we were able to pick a few of the ripe tomatoes right before that happened.  The carrots, though very cramped due to Dylan's planting style, have done okay.  The sunflowers have bloomed and are ginormously tall!  I can't wait for the corn to be ready for picking, love corn!!
Corn stalks

Cluster of carrots

Corn husks

Mini carrots, not full-grown yet

Sunflower
I've already planned ahead for next year and purchased my seeds for the spring.  Hoping for a better array and plentiful veggies next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dylan turns 11!

Pumpkin Patch

Dylan is 9!