Potty Training
I guess I never posted about our potty training efforts. Dylan first started going pee on the potty months and months ago. I don't even remember when, maybe even 7 months ago? He went a few times when we were down in Sunriver in August last year. So shortly after that? I started him off in underpants, but that quickly stopped as he was pooping in them. Trust me, not something you'd like to have to clean up on a regular basis. So he has been in pull-ups. He not only goes pee on the potty, he goes all by himself, and he stands.
He never showed any interest in using the little potty or sitting to go pee, he always wanted to stand up 'like Daddy'. It was a challenge at first since we would have to take him and when he was learning, we would ask him about 50 times a day if he needed to go and for awhile, he always did. But soon, he was getting better at holding it longer and we wouldn't need to ask him any more, he would tell us if he needed to go. Within the past month or so, he was been wanting to go all by himself. Which makes me anxious sometimes because it can be difficult for him to get his pants and pull-up all the way off and down to his ankles so he doesn't get them wet while he's going. But just this morning, when I was getting him breakfast, he marched into the bathroom, turned the light on, dragged his step stool over and went all by himself! He flushed, pulled his pants up, turned the light off and came out grinning! I was so happy! It makes it so much easier to not have to stop what I'm doing and take him to the bathroom all the time.
Now pooping is a whole other issue. I've heard boys take longer to get around to this. I've been patiently waiting...He's gone on the potty maybe twice at our house, and once at daycare. He knows when he needs to go, he'll go to his favorite pooping spots (behind the couch in the living room, laying down between the couch and the ottoman in the family room or any other small hiding location) and if I ask him what he's doing, he'll tell me, "I'm pooping". If I'm not in the same room as he's doing it, he'll come find me when he's done and tell me to change his pull-up. We've tried the potty chart with stickers, bribing with Batman underpants, Batman toys, going to Disneyland (which is a stupid bribe because we're going anyway), and I've told him that he can't go to school until he wears big boy underpants and goes poop on the potty. Nothing has seemed to spark his interest in going in the potty instead of his pants. I dream that each day will be the big day! Until then, poops ahoy!
He never showed any interest in using the little potty or sitting to go pee, he always wanted to stand up 'like Daddy'. It was a challenge at first since we would have to take him and when he was learning, we would ask him about 50 times a day if he needed to go and for awhile, he always did. But soon, he was getting better at holding it longer and we wouldn't need to ask him any more, he would tell us if he needed to go. Within the past month or so, he was been wanting to go all by himself. Which makes me anxious sometimes because it can be difficult for him to get his pants and pull-up all the way off and down to his ankles so he doesn't get them wet while he's going. But just this morning, when I was getting him breakfast, he marched into the bathroom, turned the light on, dragged his step stool over and went all by himself! He flushed, pulled his pants up, turned the light off and came out grinning! I was so happy! It makes it so much easier to not have to stop what I'm doing and take him to the bathroom all the time.
Now pooping is a whole other issue. I've heard boys take longer to get around to this. I've been patiently waiting...He's gone on the potty maybe twice at our house, and once at daycare. He knows when he needs to go, he'll go to his favorite pooping spots (behind the couch in the living room, laying down between the couch and the ottoman in the family room or any other small hiding location) and if I ask him what he's doing, he'll tell me, "I'm pooping". If I'm not in the same room as he's doing it, he'll come find me when he's done and tell me to change his pull-up. We've tried the potty chart with stickers, bribing with Batman underpants, Batman toys, going to Disneyland (which is a stupid bribe because we're going anyway), and I've told him that he can't go to school until he wears big boy underpants and goes poop on the potty. Nothing has seemed to spark his interest in going in the potty instead of his pants. I dream that each day will be the big day! Until then, poops ahoy!
Comments
Post a Comment