Dentist

Dylan had been asking me for while if he could go to the dentist. I was a little surprised, the only two times he'd been were to the pediatric dentist and he screamed both times.

Now that I am a hygienist, I figured I'd take him to my office and do it myself. I think he had gone with the babysitter and her kids to get their teeth cleaned over the summer and that's why he was so eager to go too.

The day of our ultrasound appointment, I was so antsy and was looking for things to do to pass the time so we stopped at Costco then went to see Jessica and Ben at their new house which is literally around the corner from my office. Dylan kept checking with me all day to make sure we were still going to get his teeth cleaned. I still wasn't sure how he would do but he hopped right up in the chair, laid back and opened right up! Since I clean his teeth at home, I knew there wasn't much to clean but polished anyway to get him used to it. He picked out banilla (vanilla) prophy paste, got his teeth checked and was so happy to get a balloon and pick a toy from the treasure chest. He was walking around showing everyone in the office his clean teeth once we were done.

I am still amazed at how comfortable and unafraid he was. Most kids his age I see will barely open for me and won't sit still at all. I really think it helped watching the big kids from daycare go to the dentist and the fact that he's used to me brushing and checking his teeth. If all of my young patients were so eager, cooperative and sat still in my chair, I'd be happy to see them, but usually that's not the case...

Comments

  1. He's going to be a big brother now so he has to be a big boy. That is great that he wanted to go. Let's hope he never has to have a filling filled.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dylan turns 11!

Pumpkin Patch

Dylan is 9!