What goes into my preggo photoshoots
After finding some very cute compilations on Pinterest from other mommies who documented their pregnancies with weekly photos and chalkboards, I decided that since this is most likely my last time being pregnant, might as well make sure to document it well.
The items that I use each week:
-My DSLR camera
-Remote
-Tripod
-Chalkboard
-Chalk
-Chair and ottoman for prop
-Photoshop for digital editing
I bought a poster-size frame and painted the glass with a few coats of chalkboard paint purchased at Home Depot to create the chalkboard. I use a big tub of colored chalk that we bought for Dylan, he doesn't mind sharing :-)
It took me awhile to get everything down so that set-up, taking pictures and editing go faster. The first few weeks, it was very tricky to figure out what camera setting I wanted to get the light, focus and image correct. Some weeks, it still takes me awhile to set up the tripod, figure out the best distance from camera to subject (me), adjust the focus (after a few weeks, I realized using manual focus instead of auto results in better focus since when using the timer, it would focus on the wall and then once I stepped into the picture, would be blurry and get the spacing right (make sure I don't cut off part of the chalkboard or my head. After I found a picture that was the correct focus, light, etc the first week, I was able to look at the specifications of that picture (ISO, shutter speed and aperture) and use them for each picture after that knowing it would be a good starting point.
I also invested in a remote that I use to take the pictures instead of setting the 10-second time and having to run to the spot and wait for the picture to take, then run back and look at it over an over. It's made taking self-portraits so much easier. The other thing to remember when taking pictures with timers is that you need to use the eye-piece cover to prevent light from entering and altering the white balance. Usually your eye covers the eye piece so it's not a problem but when self-portraits or using the timer, you need to cover the eye piece.
I then use Photoshop to crop, correct brightness, contrast and any color issues and soften my eye wrinkles (might as well look my best!)
| 16x20 inch frame painted with chalkboard paint Tub of colored sidewalk chalk |
| I chose this corner where there's plenty of natural light Used a dining room chair and ottoman for resting the chalkboard |
| My trusty tripod I put it away each week so it takes a few tries to find the right spot again each time |
| My favorite, the remote control for wireless self-portraits |
Very interesting. A lot of work goes into it. You do such a great job. I really look forward to each week for the updates. Please give my little man a squeeze for me.
ReplyDeleteMary
Wow! The remote is awesome! I was wondering how you did it! When I was doing my diet blog I always did self photos in the mirror, but this is so much better!
ReplyDelete