Luke's First Week
I can't believe a week has passed already. It's been a whirlwind but thanks to my Mom and Joe, we've been able to handle it. Dylan has been the biggest challenge. He has not transitioned as well as we would have thought. It's a constant battle disciplining him, he seems to realize that he's not the only thing important in the household any more and is constantly pushing boundaries, doing everything he shouldn't, talking back, acting out and basically giving us grief at every moment. Joe has taken the role of Dylan supervisor as I have Luke to take care of. Poor Joe has had to deal with Dylan's every issue. I'm sure he's looking forward to heading back to work tomorrow. Me not so much. Tomorrow will be my first day with both boys on my own. Wish me luck...
I wanted to do a quick re-cap so I would have record for the future.
Day 1: Still at the hospital. Dylan had spent the night at my parent's again. Joe went into work around 3am to get work done, was home around 7:30 and took care of some house tidying and clean-up. Luke and I were busy at the hospital getting all necessary procedures, tests and paperwork done. Joe came to the hospital at noon and we ate lunch while we waited until we could be discharged. Maureen and Maeve came to visit at 10:30. Rachel came to visit around 2pm. The hospital photographer came to snap some pics at 1pm. By 5:30 we had the ok to go home. My Mom had planned to come up with Dylan right when we got home but my Dad had accidentally taken the car with his carseat to his basketball game so they had to wait until he got home. They got here a little after 9pm, Dylan was fast asleep.
Day 2: My Mom had spent the night and Joe had taken the day off. I was pretty sore and experiencing lots of painful post-birth contractions so I spent a lot of time on the couch which was fine since I had two helpers to wait on me. Luke slept a lot, pooped a lot and generally was an angel baby. Joe and I both think he's a lot quieter than Dylan was. He rarely cries except for when he had a cold baby wipe touch him during diaper changes. Joe and Dylan went grocery shopping and Luke had his first doctor's appointment at the pediatrician so Mom came with me. He weighed 6 lbs 8 oz, 19.5 inches and 13 in head circumference. We asked how he could have shrunk in length, the nurse said likely due to his cone head at birth making him taller then. On the way home, I had to stop into Rite Aid to get my pain prescriptions. My Dad and sister came up for dinner and we had tacos. My Mom headed home that night after we had ice cream for dessert.
![]() |
| Getting a little sun |
Day 3: Joe had planned to stay home another day (initially he was planning to head into work for awhile but seeing how difficult Dylan was being, decided to stay home to help out) so we were all around again. Lots of clean up, organizing and arranging. Trying to figure out the best place for things and what baby items we were in need of. My Mom came up shortly after dinner because Joe planned to go into work the next day.
![]() |
| Took a few pics of Luke |
![]() |
| Dylan wanted to take some too |
Day 4: Again, Joe bagged going into work. Dylan had been such a pill that he thought it was best to give it more time before leaving him to our care. My Mom was with us all day so I took the opportunity to make a solo run to Target to get some baby items. Dylan was in dire need of a haircut so Joe attempted to take him. He promptly fell asleep in the car on the way there, which I thought he might, he was so cranky and needed a nap, so they didn't make it to the haircut place. We ordered pizza for dinner and my Mom left us that evening.
Day 5: I have Dylan continuing to go to daycare on Tuesdays and Fridays even though I'm not working. He needs to interact with other kids, continue with his preschool learning and I need a break. So Friday was the first day taking him there. It was a slow and complicated morning. I thought best if Joe stayed in the basement and wasn't around in the morning to prevent a meltdown from Dylan so I was on my own getting myself, Dylan and Luke up and ready to get out the door. Things didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. Dylan was having a fit because he didn't want to go without Luke. I told him I could bring Luke in for a little bit so see everyone but Dylan insisted that Luke stay the entire day with at daycare. When he finally was ready to be reasonable, he insisted that I carry him to the bathroom to brush his teeth, get him dressed, carry him downstairs, etc. All while I was trying to nurse Luke. He did end up having a good day at daycare, it also happened to be Parent's Night Out so he stayed late for that as well. It might sound bad to say this, but it was a nice break from his crankiness for most of the day. Joe ran out to True Value for a bit to pick up some things and I did a photoshoot with Luke.
Day 6: Saturday so Joe was home again. It was so nice to have him around for so many days in a row. He was great paying Dylan attention and making sure he was taken care of so I could focus on Luke. My friend Jessica came by with her son, Ben, and brought us a fabulous dinner. We mostly relaxed, did some laundry and I tried to survive one of the worst headaches I'd had in a long time. So bad that even Vicoden didn't help. I went to bed early and luckily survived the night. It was very difficult and tiring trying to nurse and get some sleep all while suffering a debilitating headache.
![]() |
| Dylan photo-bombing |
![]() |
| The boys dancing to Justin Beiber |
![]() |
| Jessica, Ben and Luke |
![]() |
| Mamas and our babies |
Day 7: Luke is one week old! It's amazing how fast time flies. He's already to much more alert, looks around much more, has settled into more of an eating/sleeping pattern and is just a great baby. Dylan, however, has yet to get out of his funk. It's so frustrating having to tell him over and over not to hit, talk back, say bad words or do things he shouldn't. All of a sudden he's also anti-showers, brushing his teeth and getting haircuts. And it's not just that he's against them it's, "I HATE taking showers, I HATE getting my haircut". He never had problems with any of those things previously, and never was into saying bad words or breaking the rules, but now all of those things are happening. I tried to take some more pictures of Luke and Dylan let me take some with him too.











Erica- You are doing a great job! When I come home this summer I would love to play with Dylan whenever you need! I am sure he just needs some crazy Aunt Tegan time ^^
ReplyDelete