Finally a new post!

Well, there went my idea of keeping up with blogging by starting the Dylan Tuesdays and Luke Fridays! I have been pretty good about taking pictures, but getting them off of my camera and onto the computer and then onto a post has been the hard part.

In the midst of trying to figure out a schedule and get Luke on it, I decided to start Weight Watchers online. I know it seems a little early to be worrying about my weight since Luke is just 2 months old but my weight loss this time around has been a lot different than it was post-Dylan. With Dylan, I was continually losing my baby weight gain over time and by the time he was four months old, was back at my pre-baby weight and then some with no diet modification and very little exercise. This time, when Luke was about 3 weeks old, my weight loss stopped. Even after I started working out, the weight wouldn't come off.  It's been a bit of struggle each day trying to fit into my old clothes, and even my stash of college "fat" jeans (when I weighed 15 pounds heavier than my pre-Luke weight) weren't fitting which granted wearing yoga pants and sweats every day at home or if I went out, I could squeeze into a single pair of my old jeans and one pair of khakis. It hasn't been good for my self-esteem at all so I decided I really needed to do something about it, especially with warmer weather on the horizon.

Most of you know that I have a pretty legit sweets addiction. I always have candy and treats in our house and after meals or really any time of the day, I grab something to feed my cravings. I also have been finding it hard to prep a decent meal so have been grabbing whatever I can  find in the pantry which is mostly pre-packaged snacks/chips/carbs. Since I'm exclusively nursing, there's really no healthy way to attempt a "fad" diet but Weight Watchers specifically has alterations that are made to their plan for nursing mothers (I checked before-hand) so I thought I'd give it a go!

So it's been very time-consuming these past few days putting together a shopping list, spending quite a bit of time before I eat anything looking up it's point value and planning ahead for what I will eat the rest of the day and generally becoming obsessed with trying to give my eating an overhaul. So far, it's going okay. We went out of town last weekend which sort of put everything in disarray since we ate out almost all of our meals (luckily, the WW app has the popular restaurants on it so I could pick out what I'd order ahead of time). But I packed grapes, carrots, apples, hard-boiled eggs and rice cakes to have on hand for snacks so I wouldn't resort to snacking on something I shouldn't. It's been a real push for me to eat more veggies and fruits, both of which I really didn't eat too frequently as well as paying more attention to serving sizes. I knew this day would come, I've had a pretty decent metabolism in the past, could eat a lot of crap and not have to worry about gaining weight. Not sure what changed that, either getting older (thanks to turning 30!) or having a second baby, but I think my days of luck are over. It's not a bad thing though, eating right should have been something I started a long time ago. The only downside is the extra fiber is causing Luke to poop a whole lot more often! The thing I'm loving about Weight Watchers is that I'm still able to eat everything I want. There's no restrictions, which is something I'm not a fan of, I could never successfully follow a diet that dictated what I could and couldn't eat. But being able to enjoy all things, even sweets, as long as I eat them in moderation or make sure I really eat filling and healthier things the rest of the day is working out for me. And I can see myself keeping these changes permanent for the long haul, even if I stop recording my points on a daily basis. And I really love that if I have some extra points at the end of the day, I can indulge in a few spoonfuls of some triple brownie ice cream... I'm hoping I'll start to see some progress in the next week. It'll be a cause for celebration to finally see the scale numbers go down!

So enough about me. The boys are doing great. Luke is getting chunkier each day. Kid loves to eat. I swear he'll bypass Dylan soon and he'll turn into Dylan's little BIG brother. I wouldn't be surprised if he passes him up height-wise and weight-wise as he gets older. Dylan has always been such a picky eater and eats like a little bird. There are days I feel I'm begging him to eat something. I don't think I'll have that problem with Luke :-)

This past week when it was nice out, Dylan thought it was warm enough to go swimming. The first day I lugged a few buckets of warm water out to his little pool and he played for a little bit. The next day, he insisted I get down the bigger pool for the yard so he could, "duck his head under". I kept trying to convince him otherwise since I'd have to use the hose to fill it up but he couldn't be convinced. I swore there'd be no way he'd go in once he realized how cold it would be but lo-and-behold, he played for almost an hour in it! And then he played catch with Casey for a good amount of time. I was glad to sit and watch and Luke loved being outside as well.

Both boys getting some time outside in the umbrella fort



Little pool with warm water
Bigger pool with cold water






Dylan decided that he wanted me to continue taking him to soccer, so I've been lugging Luke along with me to watch. Which is fine, it's so fun to see him learn and play soccer! Tomorrow is the last session and his babysitter has been begging me to leave Luke with her (I've had a hard time being able to part with him) and I finally agreed to leave him there while I take Dylan to soccer for the last session.


His cool Sounders shirt he got for his Bday
Thanks Maeve (and Maureen)!



He loves having me watch, and is constantly checking to make sure I'm watching him. I get rewarded with a huge smile and a wave. Such a joy to see him so happy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dylan turns 11!

Pumpkin Patch

Dylan is 9!