Bath Time
Luke loves his nightly bath. It's one thing I didn't do with Dylan that I knew I wanted to with Luke. Since I was in school when Dylan was a baby, I just didn't have time to give Dylan a bath every night and it wasn't something Joe wanted to do so his bathing was not so regular (he did love showers so I'd take him in with me most mornings).
Dylan also never was a great sleeper, starting with day one. He would scream the second we'd try to put him down in his bassinet, crib or pack n play. He much preferred to sleep in his swing or cuddled up with us. Hence why we're just now getting him to sleep in his own room in his own bed (that's another story...)!
For Luke, I didn't want to start off the way things did with Dylan so I knew I'd have to work at getting him a bedtime routine and giving him a nice, warm soothing bath was part of it. He's had a nightly bath every single night except for just a handful of times and he's really come to enjoy it so much that when I take him out he gets really upset and screams! I was using the little baby bath up until a few days ago after bathing him at my Grandma's house where I just put him in the big tub with a towel pillow and saw how much he loved kicking and splashing in the water. So now I just lay him in the big bath tub with an inch or two of water and last night he was still having a ball when I made him get out because the water was getting cold.
I really think adding bath time to his bedtime routine has helped settle him down for bed. Monday I also made the transition of moving him to his crib in his room to sleep. He was doing great in the pack n play next to our bed but since I go back to work in just a few weeks (sad), I knew I needed to start getting things changed so I can get a good night's sleep. He's done great the past two nights! He sleeps for about 5 hours after going down for the night and then wakes for a feeding around 1:30am and will sleep again until 5-7am. Joe also decided it was time to vacate Dylan's room so he has moved back into our room and the past two nights all of us have been sleeping in our own rooms! If you know our sleeping troubles in the past, you'll know this is a HUGE accomplishment!!!
So things are going great around here. Luke's daytime nap situation is still a struggle. I've been tracking his daily naps and feedings and trying to figure out if he likes a certain schedule (eats and sleeps at the same time each day) but am only finding a few times a day that that happens. Some days he takes short cat naps all day and then others he'll have a good 3-hour nap. So we'll keep working on it and try to get something more regular to happen.
Dylan also never was a great sleeper, starting with day one. He would scream the second we'd try to put him down in his bassinet, crib or pack n play. He much preferred to sleep in his swing or cuddled up with us. Hence why we're just now getting him to sleep in his own room in his own bed (that's another story...)!
For Luke, I didn't want to start off the way things did with Dylan so I knew I'd have to work at getting him a bedtime routine and giving him a nice, warm soothing bath was part of it. He's had a nightly bath every single night except for just a handful of times and he's really come to enjoy it so much that when I take him out he gets really upset and screams! I was using the little baby bath up until a few days ago after bathing him at my Grandma's house where I just put him in the big tub with a towel pillow and saw how much he loved kicking and splashing in the water. So now I just lay him in the big bath tub with an inch or two of water and last night he was still having a ball when I made him get out because the water was getting cold.
I really think adding bath time to his bedtime routine has helped settle him down for bed. Monday I also made the transition of moving him to his crib in his room to sleep. He was doing great in the pack n play next to our bed but since I go back to work in just a few weeks (sad), I knew I needed to start getting things changed so I can get a good night's sleep. He's done great the past two nights! He sleeps for about 5 hours after going down for the night and then wakes for a feeding around 1:30am and will sleep again until 5-7am. Joe also decided it was time to vacate Dylan's room so he has moved back into our room and the past two nights all of us have been sleeping in our own rooms! If you know our sleeping troubles in the past, you'll know this is a HUGE accomplishment!!!
So things are going great around here. Luke's daytime nap situation is still a struggle. I've been tracking his daily naps and feedings and trying to figure out if he likes a certain schedule (eats and sleeps at the same time each day) but am only finding a few times a day that that happens. Some days he takes short cat naps all day and then others he'll have a good 3-hour nap. So we'll keep working on it and try to get something more regular to happen.
| Waiting for me to fill up the tub |
| He doesn't look to enthused, but he gets super relaxed and calm during his baths |
Again, lucky you. We did regular baths and established a bedtime routine, too...all for nothing. :) haha! Oh parenthood.
ReplyDelete