We said goodbye to our doggy, Casey, last weekend. She had lived a long life, 12 human years. She was a sweet, loyal, energetic girl and was always ready to play and catch a ball.
About a month ago we started noticing she wasn't eating all her food. She seemed to be lethargic-for the first time in her life, acted like she had little energy. A trip to the vet found a tumor in her stomach and blood tests discovered liver issues as well. Due to her age, treatment for the growth (cancer was probable) would most likely be hard on her and might not help her anyway. The vet recommended taking her home, with some medications to help her appetite and liver and see how she does. After a few days on the medications, she seemed better. She was eating and had more energy. However, at the end of that week, I got a call at work from Joe that she wasn't doing well and had deteriorated quickly. The neighbor saw her in our backyard throwing up and falling over. For her sake and her quality of life, we decided she would be better not suffering.
The vet came to our house Saturday and she was put to rest. It was hard for us to say goodbye, many tears and moments of happiness for her life and tears of sadness that she would be leaving us. Dylan didn't quite understand what was going on, we explained that she was really sick and would be going to sleep forever. His response was, "well, we'll have to get a new dog". He has now realized she's gone forever and has said he misses her. I am not quite sure I have accepted she's gone. I still glance into the yard thinking I see her roaming about. And have heard her phantom bark a few times.
We will always miss her.
RIP Casey
 |
| Always so patient and never nipped even when Dylan was harassing her |
 |
| This picture was taken just about 3 weeks ago |
 |
| You can see how skinny she had become :-( |
 |
| Protector: Watching over baby Dylan |
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet pup, Erica. :( Hugs to you...
ReplyDeleteSo sorry :( Losing a special furry friend is the worst.
ReplyDelete