Ft. Flagler

We had wanted to do a little fun family trip for Labor Day Weekend before Dylan started school. My parents have always gone camping over at Ft. Flagler for as long as I can remember (we went every year growing up). Our trailer took the year off this summer, mostly due to us not wanting to camp with runaway Luke, but we thought we'd head over for one night and just tent camp. It turned out to be a downpour the day we were planning to head over so we scratched out original plans.

When Sunday rolled around and the sun was out in full force, I made the last minute decision to take the boys over anyway. I talked with my Dad and told him we were heading over (Joe had to work Monday so he couldn't come) and I quickly packed up and the boys and I headed for the ferry.

We got to the campground right around 2pm and were able to surprise my Mom who wasn't even aware we were coming! Both Dylan and Luke loved the beach, the toy set and we drove around to see the bunkers, tons of deer and had dinner and s'mores over the campfire. We stayed in my parents camper for the night.

Monday morning, I woke to a text from Joe that the ferry was out of service until further notice! We kind of all panicked since it was a holiday weekend and the ferries tend to back up regardless of any boat issues. I had originally planned to head home right before lunch in hopes of missing the ferry lines and stuck with my plan since shortly before that, they had one boat operating the run by then. Turns out one of the ferries had a fuel leak overnight that needed to be cleaned up and repaired before they could get them back up and running. By the time we reached the dock (to find NO wait or back-up), the second ferry was back up and ready to go as well.

That's when Dylan started to act funny. Even though the sun was out and it was in the high 60's, he was shivering and wanting his fleece blanket. Then once we got on the ferry, he refused to get out of the car and go up aboard and started crying that his head hurt. I haven't seen him act that way in a very long time, he rarely gets sick, but I soon realized he was not feeling well. He even asked to go to the doctor once we got off the ferry. The entire 30 minute crossing, he was sobbing that his head hurt so bad. There's nothing worse than having a sick kid, especially when you are stuck with no way to comfort them. By the time we got off the ferry, the Tylenol I gave him had kicked in and he was able to fall asleep.

When we got home, he promptly passed out on the couch for 5 hours! When he awoke, I took his temp and sure enough, he had a fever. I'm not sure what he came down with or where he contracted it from but I was in a panic that he was started school in two days. I called into work and asked if they could call a temp so I could stay home with him Tuesday to make sure he recovered before the first day of school. Luckily, he started to feel better early afternoon Tuesday. Whatever he had left his system pretty fast and he was good to go for school the next day!

I'm glad we made the last-minute trip, though could have done without the ferry issues and Dylan getting sick! Makes for a good story, though!














Wanting to go through the pitch-dark bunker by himself











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dylan turns 11!

Pumpkin Patch

Dylan is 9!